Thursday, July 9, 2009

Cub Day Camp Cogioba District 2009

I'm the only person that would spend 5 days, nearly 10 hours a day at a Cub Day Camp and hardly get any pictures of it. It was a lot of fun but a little weird because I ended up with a group of mostly 6-year olds (non-LDS scouts can be wolves a LOT younger) and the only person I knew in our group was Nick who was helping me. There weren't enough leaders as usual but it was very well run--I've been to a few so I have something to compare it to. The leaders that do volunteer seem to spend a lot of money for their little groups by hauling in extra food, toys, t-shirts, etc. Well, I am a cheapskate so I had to devise other ways to bribe the kids in my group. In the middle of the picture below is the banner I made or whatever you want to call it that I put all the boys' names on. The first day we had it, I showed them these cool puffy Star Wars stickers and told them whoever was the best at each class would get to put their favorite one under their name. Then they would get to wear the thing on the way to our next class and NO ONE could get in front of them, not even me. You would not believe how much 6 year old boys love being the first in line! It worked really well even the next day when they just got to wear it to lead everyone to the next station/class. And it started drawing attention because it's Star Wars and it's cool (the stickers were not just puffy--but shiny too--oooh), so that made it even better. Pretty soon, everyone we passed seemed to start playing Star Wars. My husband would have loved it.





Despite the many times we had to send people to the medical guys, and the rain that fell most of one day, I actually had a lot of fun and so far I've run into 2 of the boys that were in our group at stores around town and both times they were being kind of naughty and giving their moms a hard time. Maybe I should have given some Star Wars stickers to their parents. :-)

1 comment:

Grandpa Howe said...

Way to go! Cheap is usually the best anyway though, your husband, my son, always wanted to be SECOND instead of first. Weird huh?